Team Eligibility and Race Rules
Please note, the below eligibility and race rules are not relevant for the Tokyo event. For specific eligibility and race rules for the Tokyo event please refer to the Tokyo event FAQs.
Team Captains are responsible for ensuring their teams adhere to all team eligibility and race rules.
TEAM ELIGIBILITY RULES
1. Each team should consist of 10 participants, but the minimum number of participants per team is 8 - in this situation, 2 participants must run another lap each in order for the team to complete all 10 laps. No participant is permitted to run more than 2 laps.
2. Participants are permitted to run in only one team at any given race and must be at least 18 years of age on the race date.
3. A minimum of 8 individual participants in each team must be employed by the corporation or be a member of the professional organisation or learned society entering the race – verification of eligibility must be provided upon request.
4. If a corporation has less than 20 employees or members, they are able to group together with one other corporation that also has less than 20 employees or members in order to form a team, but at least half of the participants in the team must be employees or members from the registered corporation.
5. There are 3 different team categories in the race: Overall, Mixed and Female. Team Eligibility Rules 1-4 apply to all 3 categories.
6. All teams will be eligible for the Overall category.
7. To be eligible for the Mixed category, a team will need to consist of at least 4 individual female participants, running a minimum of one lap each, and at least 1 male participant, running at least one lap – the rest of the team can be filled with either gender.
8. To be eligible for the Female category, a team will need to consist of female participants only.
9. The fastest 3 Overall teams, the fastest Mixed team and the fastest Female team will be awarded after the race has finished, but if the race needs to be stopped for any reason the awards will only be presented to teams that have completed at least 5 laps.
1. Every team must complete 10 laps of the designated one-mile (1.6km) course.
2. There can only be one participant per team on the course at any given time.
3. Should any participant wish to walk instead of run during their lap, always keep to the side of the course to prevent blocking other participants.
4. Your race baton contains your timing chip. Participants can only pass the baton by hand to their own team members in the transition area opposite the race pens - throwing, rolling or kicking the baton is not allowed.
5. After handing the baton to their team member, the participant must immediately move into the Finish Area. The last participant must return their team baton to staff in the finish area.
6. Each participant is required to display their bib number clearly throughout the race on the front of their t-shirt or vest.
No appeals are allowed. The Race Organiser's decision is final.
How does the event work?
This is a fully immersive team-building event combining a corporate team relay race, hospitality and after-party. For the race, there are ten runners on every team, each of whom run a one-mile lap, relay style. The fastest team to complete the full ten miles wins! Following the race all runners receive hospitality and access to the after-party in the race village.
Can I register a team now and recruit team members later?
Only one person needs to enter and complete payment for the team. Following your completed team entry you will be able to submit all 10 runners on your team in your team’s profile section of the website.
Who is allowed to participate?
Team registration is only open to corporations and professional organisations or learned societies. See team eligibility rules at the top of the page for full details. We invite and encourage all colleagues, friends and family to come and cheer you on and enjoy the celebrations.
What awards are available on the night?
There are 5 awards presented after each race. The fastest team will receive the winner’s trophy; there are also trophies for the second and third placed teams, the fastest mixed team and the fastest female team.
What if we don’t have enough people for a team?
Each team is required to have 10 runners to take part in the race. However, in exceptional circumstances (due to last minute illness or injury) the minimum number of people per team permitted is 8. In this situation we allow 2 members of the team to run twice. We would advise you to have reserves that would be willing to step in if you find yourself with last minute dropouts as refunds are not available.
Please note that a minimum of 8 runners in each team must be employed by or be a member of the corporation entering a team in the race. However, if a corporation has less than 20 employees, they are able to group together with one other company that also has less than 20 employees or members in order to form a team, but at least 4 employees or members from the registered corporation must still participate in that team (see booking terms and conditions for further details).
The Event Organizer has the right to refuse entry to any team at their sole discretion if this rule is not adhered to and/or disqualify them from the race following the event.
Does my team qualify for the Fastest Mixed Team category?
To qualify for the Mixed Team category, a team must comprise of at least one male runner and a minimum of four individual female runners, who each need to complete one lap of the one-mile course - the rest of the team can be filled with runners of either gender.
I've signed up, what happens now?
After completing the initial online registration form, you will be taken through to the payment process where you can pay for your team. Once your order has been processed, you will receive an email confirming your entry with log in details to your team profile and instructions on how to invite your colleagues to join your team, and complete the online Injury Waiver Form. Each Team Captain will need to complete the online Injury Waiver Form and ensure each team member accepts the waiver terms before the team will be able to race.
When will I receive my Race Pack?
Your digital race pack will be emailed out to you within 1 week of the event. Please ensure that the email address you provided in your online Team Profile section is correct. As the team captain, it is your responsibility to ensure each runner has their race number in the order that you enter your runners on the form online in your Team Profile section.
What is included in the Race Pack?
Event Information, Route Map and Schedule are all included in the digital Race Pack. Race Bibs which display key information including; team number, race number, baggage drop voucher and food and drink vouchers will be collected by your Team Captain when they register on race day.
I haven't received my Race Pack?
The digital race packs are emailed out the week before the race. If you haven’t received your race pack, please contact the Bloomberg Square Mile Relay team by email at [email protected] and we can re-send the email or give you the link to the online race pack.
I haven't managed to get the whole team to sign the Injury Waiver Form – what should I do?
The Injury Waiver is a document that must be ‘accepted’ online by each runner in their profile section in order to participate in the race. The Team Captain must also send through the names of the runners in the correct running order. If you are missing any signatures we are able to accept them at the registration tent at event. Once we have all 10 we will be able to fully register your team and give you your race baton.
Race Packs, Runner Bibs and Batons
The race pack will be emailed out to all runners 1 week before the event. All race bibs will be collected by the Team Captain along with the team baton at Teams Captains Registration on race day.
What is included in the Digital Race Pack?
Event Information, Route Map and Schedule are all included in the digital Race Pack. Race Bibs (which include your team number, race number, baggage drop voucher and food and drink vouchers) will be collected by your Team Captain when they register on race day.