Team Eligibility and Race Rules
Please note, the below eligibility and race rules are not relevant for the Tokyo event. For specific eligibility and race rules for the Tokyo event please refer to the Tokyo event FAQs.
Team Captains are responsible for ensuring their teams adhere to all team eligibility and race rules.
TEAM ELIGIBILITY RULES
1. Each team should consist of 10 participants, but the minimum number of participants per team is 8 - in this situation, 2 participants must run another lap each in order for the team to complete all 10 laps. No participant is permitted to run more than 2 laps.
2. Participants are permitted to run in only one team at any given race and must be at least 18 years of age on the race date.
3. A minimum of 8 individual participants in each team must be employed by the corporation or be a member of the professional organisation or learned society entering the race – verification of eligibility must be provided upon request.
4. If a corporation has less than 20 employees or members, they are able to group together with one other corporation that also has less than 20 employees or members in order to form a team, but at least half of the participants in the team must be employees or members from the registered corporation.
5. There are 3 different team categories in the race: Overall, Mixed and Female. Team Eligibility Rules 1-4 apply to all 3 categories.
6. All teams will be eligible for the Overall category.
7. To be eligible for the Mixed category, a team will need to consist of at least 4 individual female participants, running a minimum of one lap each, and at least 1 male or non-binary participant running at least one lap - the rest of the team can be filled with any gender.
8. If a participant selects ‘Prefer not to say’ as their gender, the team will only be eligible for the Overall category and Mixed Team category (providing there are at least four different females running one lap each and one other gendered runner (male or non binary) running at least one lap in the Mixed Team).
9. To be eligible for the Female category, a team will need to consist of female participants only.
10. The fastest 3 Overall teams, the fastest Mixed team and the fastest Female team will be awarded after the race has finished, but if the race needs to be stopped for any reason the awards will only be presented to teams that have completed at least 5 laps.
1. Every team must complete 10 laps of the designated one-mile (1.6km) course.
2. There can only be one participant per team on the course at any given time.
3. Should any participant wish to walk instead of run during their lap, always keep to the side of the course to prevent blocking other participants.
4. Your race baton contains your timing chip. Participants can only pass the baton by hand to their own team members in the transition area opposite the race pens - throwing, rolling or kicking the baton is not allowed.
5. After handing the baton to their team member, the participant must immediately move into the Finish Area. The last participant must return their team baton to staff in the finish area.
6. Each participant is required to display their bib number clearly throughout the race on the front of their t-shirt or vest.
No appeals are allowed. The Race Organiser's decision is final.
How does the event work?
This is a fully immersive team-building event, combining a corporate team relay race, hospitality, and after-party. Each team will have 10 runners, each of whom run a one-mile lap, relay style. The fastest team to complete the full ten miles wins! Following the race all runners receive hospitality and access to an after-party in the race village.
Can I register a team now and recruit team members later?
Yes, only one person needs to register the team initially. Following your completed team entry, you will be able to invite all 10 runners via your team profile section of the website.
Who is allowed to participate?
The Bloomberg Square Mile Relay is exclusive to Bloomberg clients. A minimum of 8 individual participants in each team must be employed by the client company who registered the team.
What awards are available on the night?
There are 5 awards presented after each race. The fastest team will receive the winner’s trophy; there are also trophies for the second and third placed teams, the fastest mixed team and the fastest female team.
What if we don’t have enough people for a team?
Each team is required to have 10 runners to take part in the race. However, the minimum number of people per team permitted is 8. In this situation we allow 2 members of the team to run twice.
Please note that a minimum of 8 runners in each team must be employed by or be a member of the corporation entering the team in the race.
However, if a corporation has less than 20 employees, they are able to group together with one other company that also has less than 20 employees to form a team, but at least 4 employees or members from the registered corporation must still participate in that team.
The Event Organizer has the right to refuse entry to any team at their sole discretion if this rule is not adhered to and/or disqualify them from the race following the event.
Does my team qualify for the Fastest Mixed Team category?
To qualify for the Mixed Team category, a team must comprise of at least one male runner and a minimum of four individual female runners, who each need to complete one lap of the one-mile course - the rest of the team can be filled with runners of either gender.
I’ve signed up, what happens now?
There may be a short delay between registering your team online and receiving confirmation of your entry. This is due to internal checks that we run to ensure all teams entered are Bloomberg clients. Once confirmed, we will be in touch with instructions on how to add your runners and next steps.
Please note, once each runner has been invited, they will need to individually follow the instructions in their email invite to complete their details and sign our race waivers. All 10 runners must do this before the team is complete.
When will I receive my Race Pack?
Your digital race pack will be emailed out to you within 1 week of the event. Please ensure that the email address you provided in your online Team Profile section is correct. As the team captain, it is your responsibility to ensure each runner has their race number in the order that you enter your runners on the form online in your Team Profile section.
I haven’t received my Race Pack?
The digital race packs are emailed out the week before the race. If you haven’t received your race pack, please contact the Bloomberg Square Mile Relay team by email at [email protected] and we can re-send the email or give you the link to the online race pack.
I haven’t managed to get the whole team to sign their waivers – what should I do?
The race waivers are documents that must be ‘accepted’ online by each runner in their profile section, in order to participate in the race. All 10 runners must accept their race waivers before the team is marked as 'complete' and is ready to run.
Please note runners must register their account with the email address they were invited with in order complete their profile and accept the waivers. If any runners are having issues signing the waivers, please get in touch.
Race Packs, Runner Bibs and Batons
The race pack will be emailed out to all runners 1 week before the event. All race bibs will be collected by the Team Captain along with the team baton at Teams Captains Registration on race day.
What is included in the Digital Race Pack?
All key event information such as timings, race format, route map, what to bring and more will be included in the digital Race Pack.
Race Bibs (which include your team number, race number, baggage drop voucher and food and drink vouchers) will be collected by your Team Captain when they register on race day.
If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please Contact Us.