What are the Team Eligibility and Race Rules for the Sydney race?
TEAM ELIGIBILITY RULES
- Each team should consist of 10 participants, but the minimum number of participants per team is 8 - in this situation, 2 participants must run another lap each in order for the team to complete all 10 laps. No participant is permitted to run more than 2 laps.
- Participants are permitted to run in only one team at any given race and must be at least 18 years of age on the race date.
- A minimum of 8 individual participants in each team must be employed by the corporation or be a member of the professional organisation or learned society entering the race – verification of eligibility must be provided upon request.
- If a corporation has less than 20 employees or members, they are able to group together with one other corporation that also has less than 20 employees or members in order to form a team, but at least half of the participants in the team must be employees or members from the registered corporation.
- There are 3 different team categories in the race: Overall, Mixed and Team Eligibility Rules 1-4 apply to all 3 categories.
- All teams will be eligible for the Overall
- To be eligible for the Mixed category, a team will need to consist of at least 4 individual female participants, running a minimum of one lap each, and at least 1 male or non-binary participant running at least one lap - the rest of the team can be filled with any gender.
- If a participant selects ‘Prefer not to say’ as their gender, the team will only be eligible for the Overall category and Mixed Team category (providing there are at least four different females running one lap each and one other gendered runner (male or non binary) running at least one lap in the Mixed Team).
- To be eligible for the Female category, a team will need to consist of female participants only.
- The fastest 3 Overall teams, the fastest Mixed team and the fastest Female team will be awarded after the race has finished, but if the race needs to be stopped for any reason the awards will only be presented to teams that have completed at least 5 laps.
- Every team must complete 10 laps of the designated one-mile (1.6km) course.
- There can only be one participant per team on the course at any given time.
- Should any participant wish to walk instead of run during their lap, always keep to the side of the course to prevent blocking other participants.
- Your race baton contains your timing chip. Participants can only pass the baton by hand to their own team members, in the transition area, opposite the race pens - throwing, rolling or kicking the baton is not allowed.
- After handing the baton to their team member, the participant must immediately move into the Finish Area. The last participant must return their team baton to staff in the finish area.
- Each participant is required to display their bib number clearly throughout the race on the front of their t-shirt or vest.
No appeals are allowed. The Race Organiser’s decision is final.
Will there be an After-Party?
After the awards presentation in the Event Village, participants are invited to head to the Official After-Party at the The Argyle, only a short walk away!
When and where is it taking place?
The Bloomberg Square Mile Relay Sydney 2023 will take place on Thursday 23rd November. The race starts and finishes at Barangaroo Reserve.
What time do we need to be there on the night?
Team captains should arrive from 5.00pm on the day to register and collect their team’s baton. Please note that it is only the nominated team captain who can register the team. Team members need to arrive from 6pm.
What are the changing facilities?
There are no changing facilities on-site, so we recommend arriving ready to run. There is a secure baggage drop where you can leave a small bag during the race.
Can spectators come into the Race Village?
Spectators are very welcome!
Race Packs, Runner Bibs and Batons
The digital race pack will be emailed out to all runners two weeks before the event.
Race bibs are to be collected by the Team Captain along with the team baton at the Registration Desks at 5:00pm on race day.
If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please Contact Us.